Monday, May 19, 2014
TSA travel tips for the Memorial Day holiday weekend: Know before you go
In a release the federal Transportation Security Administration said more than 2.6 million people are expected to fly during the Memorial Day travel period, so the agency is reminding "travelers to prepare and plan ahead for the security screening process" by visiting here or using the My TSA mobile app.
"TSA screens approximately 1.8 million passengers each day at more than 450 airports nationwide. During major holidays, including the Memorial Day travel period, TSA sees a spike in the number of passengers screened at airport checkpoints across the country. According to the AAA, airports and airlines anticipate 2.6 million air travelers nationwide during this holiday period, an increase from 2.4 percent in 2013," the release said.
"Passenger preparedness can have a significant impact on wait times at security checkpoints nationwide. To facilitate the security screening process, TSA is reminding travelers to arrive early to the airport and follow these tips":
• Know before you go: TSA's summer travel page provides useful information to help ease travel through the airport security checkpoints this season.
• 3 - 1 - 1 for liquids: Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces or less and all bottles must fit in a single quart size plastic bag and placed in a bin for screening. This includes sun block and tanning sprays.
• Check for prohibited items: Use the "Can I bring my..." app to check what items are allowed/ not allowed in carry-on and checked luggage. Smartphone users can easily download the "My TSA" app to quickly find helpful information about TSA policies and procedures.
• Prepare for security: Have an acceptable ID and boarding pass out and remove large electronics including laptops and the 3-1-1 compliant liquids bag, from carry-on baggage.
• TSA Pre✓™: TSA Pre✓™ is an expedited screening program that allows travelers to leave on their shoes, light outerwear and belt, keep their laptop in its case and their 3-1-1 complaint liquids/gels bag in a carry-on, in select screening lanes. Those eligible for TSA Pre✓™ can participate at 118 airports when traveling on a participating airline: Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways and Virgin America. TSA has also opened more than 260 application centers nationwide, allowing more U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents the opportunity to participate in TSA Pre✓™. Interested travelers can pre-enroll.
• TSA Pre✓™ for U.S. Armed Forces: TSA offers TSA Pre✓™ expedited screening to all members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard. Eligible members of the U.S. Armed Forces on personal or official travel do not need to travel in uniform to participate. Accompanying family members ages 12 and under can be processed through expedited screening as well. To participate, enter the DoD ID number in the known traveler number field while making flight reservations. Learn about the requirements and additional screening information.
• TSA Cares: Travelers or families of passengers with disabilities and medical conditions may call the TSA Cares helpline toll free at 1-855-787-2227 with any questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint 72 hours prior to traveling. Injured service members and veterans including individuals associated with a wounded warrior program may contact TSA Cares to help facilitate the screening process.
Questions about TSA procedures and upcoming travel can be addressed to the TSA Contact Center at 1-866-289-9673.
According to a release from Shaun Roche, visitor services manager at the Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge, "Each spr...
NEW HAVEN >> Community Action Agency of New Haven is enrolling youths ages 14 to 18 for the summer session of the Manage Your Future...
Yale-New Haven Hospital and the Rhode Island Blood Center's "Be The Match" Marrow Donor Program will hold a marrow donor regis...
"Day-to-day support available via call center representatives" According to a release: When the 2014 open enrollment cycl...